“We work for the transformation of unjust systems, the integrity of creation and the flourishing of humanity and Earth. We network with persons and groups whose charism and values resonate with ours.”
(Our Way of Life C9)
The Presentation Sisters Union US Unit signed on to the following petitions in the first quarter of 2022:
- Statement on the United Nations 60th Session of the Commission for Social Development dated January 1, 2022, in support of prioritizing the following actions: end discrimination and invest in human dignity and well-being; end hunger by building resilience for food security everywhere; invest in decent and sustainable jobs; and bridge the digital divide to access fundamental rights.
- FY2022 Omnibus Appropriations Letter to Congress dated February 1, 2022, asking for funding for programs in FY 2022 critically needed by low-income families such as food, housing and child care. 353 organizations supported this letter.
- Letter from LCWR Region XII to U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland dated March 22, 2022 asking his department to investigate Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s latest interference with federal immigration matters in Operation Lone Star, which is jailing immigrants on state trespassing charges who would otherwise petition the U.S. Government for asylum.
- Letter from LCWR Region XII to CEO of Union Pacific Railroad dated March 22, 2022 appealing Union Pacific to stop collaborating in the unconstitutional Operation Lone Star. Specifically: 1) To stop submitting affidavits that support the illegal arrest and apprehension of migrants under Operation Lone Star; and 2) To find safe and humane alternatives to assist migrants apprehended on Union Pacific property and ensure these migrants have meaningful access to apply for asylum in the U.S.
- Letter dated March 24, 2022 sent to every House and Senate office urging Congress to enact emergency supplemental funding for COVID vaccines, testing, and treatment. The Sisters were part of 261 organizations signing on to this letter.