Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Nano Nagle founded the congregation, which she named “Sisters of the Charitable Instruction of the Sacred Heart of Jesus,” in 1775. Following her death, the sisters established convents and schools in other towns and cities of Ireland. In 1791 Pope Pius VI granted papal approval. The sisters took simple vows and were not bound by enclosure, ensuring that Nano Nagle’s desire to be wherever the poor were to be found lived on in the work of her sisters. At the core of the congregation’s mission was a passion for justice and a devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Difficult historical and social circumstances caused significant changes in the Institute’s manner of life. In 1805, Pope Pius VII approved new constitutions which incorporated these changes: profession of solemn vows and a rule of enclosure. At the same time the Institute was given another official title: Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.